A Visual Guide to Different Types of Braces
Technologies and treatment options in Orthodontics are constantly evolving and as a Truro orthodontist, Dr. Donald Johnston is (and always has been) committed to continuing education and staying on top of the latest advances. As that has always been our standard at Truro and Area Docbraces, we offer a wide range of innovative diagnostic and teeth straightening options such as traditional metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign.
But how do you choose which option is right for you? We know that it can be overwhelming and exciting, once you decide to start your smile journey, and our smile team will walk you through each of our options in-depth at your Free Consultation. However, to help you understand the options available to you, we’ve created this handy visual guide to different types of braces.
Understanding Different Types Of Braces
Traditional Metal Braces
The Basics: Traditional metal braces remain the most popular form of orthodontic treatment, and they’re likely the option you’ve seen most often. When you think of braces or orthodontic treatment, these are likely what comes to mind! These days, traditional metal braces are smaller and more comfortable than ever. They typically consist of stainless steel brackets and wires. They can also be combined with things like a chain, rubber bands/elastics and other appliances, depending on your needs.
Great For: Children, teens and adults
Fixes: Mild, moderate and severe spacing, over-bite, crowding, underbite and cross-bite
- Treats all age ranges, and a broad range of cases – from simple to complex
- Affordable (especially with our interest-free financing plans!)
- Can potentially see results more quickly than some other treatment options
- There are food restrictions
- Visible brackets and wires
Clear Ceramic Braces
The Basics: Clear ceramic braces are a great “hybrid” option. They can blend in with the teeth, and be less visible than traditional metal brackets. Ceramic braces use brackets, arch wire and ligatures to move your teeth, just like traditional braces – however, the brackets are made from a ceramic material that is either semi-translucent or tooth coloured.
Great For: Older teens and adults
Fixes: Mild to moderate spacing, overbite, crowding, underbite and cross-bite
- The brackets are less visible than metal braces
- Many patients find ceramic brackets are very comfortable
- Require dedicated oral hygiene to prevent staining/visible discolouration through the clear brackets
- Food restrictions
Invisalign and Invisalign Teen
The Basics: Invisalign is the brace-less, virtually invisible way to get the smile of your dreams! Invisalign straightens your teeth without brackets or wires. Instead, a series of clear, removable, plastic aligners are created according to your orthodontist’s specifications. Every few weeks, you put in a new set of customized aligners that will move your teeth a little more.
Great For: Teens and adults
Fixes: Mild to moderate spacing, over-bite, crowding, underbite and cross-bite
- Virtually invisible
- The aligners are extremely comfortable and don’t irritate the cheeks or lips
- Incredibly convenient – the aligners are removable for eating or drinking, as well as oral hygiene
- Zero food restrictions
- Can brush and floss normally
- While Invisalign can treat a large variety of cases, and is constantly becoming more advanced, not all severe cases can be treated with Invisalign and Invisalign Teen
Contact Truro and Area Docbraces today for a free consultation at our Truro, Nova Scotia orthodontic clinics. Dr. Donald Johnston will evaluate your smile and needs to determine what type of treatment options will work best for you. Whichever treatment option you choose, you’ll be on your way to the healthy, beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of!